What will your child be studying?
Our Dance Schemes in Year 7 involve a thematic approach, to allow students to access movement and creative thinking. These include Graffiti Art, Superheroes, Haka, Secret Agents and more.
We focus on developing skills that allow students to:
- Understand and demonstrate the basic social and group skills necessary for meaningful dance to take place (listening, observation, concentration and co-operation)
- Work in mixed groups of various sizes. Through this work they should develop negotiation skills and the ability to make decisions as part of a group
- Understand how the use of the bodily actions, space, dynamics and relationships can communicate themes and ideas.
- Demonstrate their ability to develop ideas and create more whole dance motifs over time.
- Structure dances which have a clear beginning, middle and end.
- Be clear that process is often more important than performance and, thus, that performance is not always part of the activity.
How will your child be assessed?
We use a variety of teacher, self and peer assessment. This is focused around ongoing reflection of the strands ‘making’, ‘performing’ and ‘reflecting’. Alongside this there will also be an ‘end of unit’ performance assessment.
How can you help your child?
Any opportunity to see and discuss live performance will greatly support students. This can be developed by asking students to articulate and reflect on what they are currently creating and how they are doing so.
Supportive resources and websites